I. Visa Types
1. X1 visa
X1 Visa is issued to international students undertaking long-term study in Mainland China (more
than 180 days). Students holding an X1 visa must apply within 30 days after entry for a residence permit, otherwise, it constitutes illegal detention.
2. X2 visa
X2 Visa is issued to international students who will study for fewer than 180 days. Staying in China after a valid visa expires constitutes illegal detention.
International students studying in China must possess ordinary passports with either visa for study (X1 or X2 type). International students who hold other types of visas may not be able to enroll normally, and they need to bear the consequences of this situation on their own.
II. Visa Procedures
1. Entry Visa
International students who study in China should apply for an X1 or X2 visa at the local Chinese Embassy or Consulate with Admission Notice, Visa Application Form (JW202/JW201/DQ) and other relevant documents required by the local Embassy or Consulate.
2. Visa Extension, Residence Permit Application and Extension of Residence Permit
Step 1: International students should provide the following documents at least 15 days ahead of visa expiration and proceed with visa or residence permit application and extension, according to your visa type, schooling length, and documents from the HIT Office of Exit & Entry Administration.
A. Valid passport, copy of the first page of the passport, copy of the current visa or residence permit page, copy of the latest entry stamp page
B. Registration Form of Temporary Residence
C. Copy of Admission Notice
D. Receipt of Tuition Fee
E. Photocopy of JW201 /JW202/DQ Form
(JW202/DQ form with ** code in the upper right corner, please scan the ** code and print the screenshot information)
F. Foreign students' off-campus accommodation security agreement
G. Physical Examination Record for Foreigner
1. Registration Form of Temporary Residence: Students living in dormitories on campus might take their passports to the reception; students living in off-campus private accommodation should take their passports to their local police station.
2. Students with scholarships do not need to provide a receipt for tuition fees.
3. Foreign students' off-campus accommodation security agreement: Students who rent an off-campus house need to obtain it from the coordinator.
4. Physical Examination Record for Foreigners: Students who apply for a residence permit for the first time or study for over one year should provide medical examination results within six months at a hospital in China.
Step 2: International students need to log in to the International Student Management System.
User name: student's passport number Initial password: HITat0086 Application Application will be reviewed by the Office of Exit & Entry Administration, which will provide official documents required for visa application or residence permit.
Step 3: Students claim the documents.
Step 4: Students should apply for the latest visa or residence permit personally in the Exit and Entry Administration of Harbin Public Security Bureau.
Sample of application documents:
III. Important Points to Note
1. International students should apply for an extension at least 15 days in advance of the validity period of the visa and residence permit, and the processing time is about 30 days. In case of holidays, examinations, going out, etc., they must apply for an extension in advance. Those who stay in China after the visa expires will receive a penalty of a maximum of 10,000 RMB.
2. International students are required to register at the local police station within 24 hours after entering the country and obtain the Registration Form of Temporary Residence. In any of the following cases, the Registration Form of Temporary Residence should be updated: 1) There is any change to the individual’s address, passport, visa, or residence permit; 2) Re-entry into China from abroad; 3) The Registration Form has expired. International students who fail to register in time will be treated as illegal residents with a penalty of a maximum of 2,000 RMB from the public security bureau.
3. For international students who violate the laws in China, the college has the right to report to the public security bureau to cancel his/her visa or residence permit.
4. When applying for a visa or residence permit extension, international students must first pay the insurance and tuition fees.
5. The validity of a visa or residence permit for an international student will not exceed the period of his/her study. After completing their studies, international students should leave China before their visa or residence permit expires. Residing in China after the expiration date of a visa or residence permit is illegal.
6. International students who drop out, take temporary absences, or are suspended from the university must go to the College of International Education to apply for a short-term visitor visa. If students fail to cover the procedures, the College of International Education will report to the Exit and Entry Administration of Harbin Public Security Bureau to declare the cancellation of their visa, and students themselves will bear all related consequences.
7. The university does not officially invite family members to accompany international students in China. In the case of families applying for residence permits, students should make a written application to their coordinator in the College of International Education. The office of Exit & Entry Administration will provide official documents after the approval. Students’ families should prepare other required documents and apply personally to the Exit and Entry Administration of Harbin Public Security Bureau. The residence permit of the student’s family will be no longer than that of the student.
International students should provide the following documents:
A. International student: photocopy of passport first page, photocopy of valid visa page or residence permit page, admission Notice with the stamp of College of International Education or its photocopy
B. Student’s families: Valid passport, photocopy of passport first page, photocopy of valid visa page or residence permit page, photocopy of the page with latest entry stamp
C. International students’ and families’ Registration Forms of Temporary Residence
D. Physical Examination Certification
E. Certification for Relative Relationship (In Chinese)
8. The School proceeds all types of visa and residence permits according to the laws in China and requirements of the Exit and Entry Administration of Harbin Public Security Bureau.
IV. Passport Matters
1. Loss of Passport
If an international student finds out that his/her passport is lost or misplaced, he/she must go through the following procedures:
1) Immediately report the loss to the local police station and obtain a loss of passport report;
2) Go to the Exit & Entry Administration of Harbin Public Security Bureau to get a certificate of passport loss;
3) Apply for a new passport with the certificate of passport loss in the embassy of his/her country in China;
4) Renew the Registration Form of Temporary Residence with the certificate of passport loss and new passport within 24 hours after the new passport has been issued, and apply for a new visa or residence permit via the Office of Exit & Entry Administration within 10 days. If an international student does not apply for a new residence permit within 10 days after the new passport has been issued, his/her conduct will be deemed to be illegal residence.
2. Renewal of Passport
1) After the new visa or residence permit has been issued, students should go to the local police station to renew passport information and the Registration Form of Temporary Residence.
2) Report to your coordinator with the renewed documents and renew residence permit.
V. Penalties for Violation of Rules and Regulations
According to the Regulations of the Exit and Entry Administration Law of the People's Republic of China, the arising of any of the following situations will subject foreign nationals to penalties:
1. Foreign nationals who reside in China illegally shall be given a warning; in serious circumstances, they shall be imposed with a fine of RMB 500 yuan per day, with a maximum cap of RMB 10,0000 yuan in total, or be detained for no less than five days but no more than 15 days.
2. Under any of the following circumstances, a warning shall be given, and a fine of no more than RMB 2,000 yuan may also be imposed:
a) Foreign nationals refuse to accept the verification of their exit/entry documents by public security departments;
b) Foreign nationals refuse to submit their residence permits for verification;
c) Foreign nationals fail to go through the formalities for altering registration by the relevant regulations when there is any change in the registered items within their residence permits; Foreign nationals in China use others’ exit/entry documents;
e) Foreign nationals fail to go through the accommodation registration formalities following the rules and regulations of the Law.
3. Foreigners engaging in illegal or criminal activities will be required to leave China within a certain time limit, or they may be repatriated or deported. Repatriated foreigners shall not be allowed to enter China within 5 years from the date of repatriation. Deported foreigners shall not be allowed to enter China within 10 years from the date of deportation.
4. Foreigners engaging in activities inconsistent with their visa types or other illegal or criminal activities will be required to leave China within a certain time limit.
5. Foreigners who work illegally will be given a fine of 5,000 RMB to 20,000 RMB; those with severe situations will be given a detention of 5 days to 15 days and a fine of 5,000 RMB to 20,000 RMB.
Rules and Regulations
Exit and Entry Administration Law of the People’s Republic of China (Both Chinese and English Versions)
Regulations of the People’s Republic of China on Administration of the Entry and Exit of Foreigners (Both Chinese and English Versions)
VI. Other Information
1. Physical Examination
a. The Second Hospital Affiliated to Heilongjiang University of Chinese Medicine
Address: Min Yi Street, Nangang District
Tel: 0451-87093444 15846346666
Time: Monday to Friday 8:00-10:30; 13:00-15:30
b. Heilongjiang International Travel Health Care Center (Harbin Customs Outpatient Department)
Address: No.9 Ganshui Road, Nangang District
Physical Examination: Monday to Friday 7:00-10:30
Note: Please make an appointment on the WeChat Official Account of “Heilongjiang International Travel Health Care Center”. No eating or drinking on the day of the physical examination.
2. Exit and Entry Administration of Harbin Public Security Bureau
Address: No.2 Gongcheng Street, Daoli District (Opposite the Friendship Palace)
Working Hours: Monday to Friday 8:30-11:30; 13:30-16:30
This guide is for reference only. If there is any change, please refer to the latest provisions of the Regulations of the “Foreigner Entry and Exit Management Regulations of the People's Republic of China.