2019-2020 Chinese Government Scholarship Program Harbin Institute of Technology
Founded in 1920, Harbin Institute of Technology has developed into an open, multidisciplinary, research-oriented, leading national university with science and engineering as its core, encompassing management, liberal arts, economy and law as a whole. In 2009, HIT became a member of Top 9 (C9) in China; in 2017, HIT was selected as one of the double first-class universities. HIT, as a leading engineering university ranks in the world’s Top 6 in US News 2018. For international students out of China only who want to study master or PhD degree can apply for HIT Independent Recruitment Program with limited quota. HIT Independent Recruitment Program covers tuition fee, accommodation fee, stipend and insurance fee. It is one of the programs of Chinese Government Scholarship (hereinafter referred to as CSC scholarship) and assigned from Ministry of Education (hereinafter referred to as MOE) to the university to recruit outstanding international students. Applicants need to submit the application materials according to school requirements. HIT will admit the best applicants by selection and recommend to the China Scholarship Council. Applicants, who are recommended for the CSC scholarship, will receive a confirmation E-mail from HIT in April, and then complete the follow-up application according to the E-mail instructions.
Applicants should post their application materials in time to the College of International Education (hereinafter referred to as CIE) of HITfrom September 20 to December 31, 2018.
Note: The date of receiving paper materials will be regarded as the date of application.
- Applicants must be non-Chinese nationality in good health.
- Educational background required and age limit:
- Excellent performance in study.
- Applicants should have good ability in scientific research.
Applicants for master’s degree studies must have bachelor’s degree and be under the age of 35;
Applicants for doctoral degree studies must have master’s degree and be under the age of 40.
Note: The scholarship cannot be combined with any other scholarship.
Details of the Scholarship
- Exempt from registration fee, tuition fee, and accommodation fee;
- 800 RMB per year for Comprehensive Medical Insurance;
- Monthly stipend is granted to the students at the following rates:
Master’s degree candidate: 3,000 RMB/month
Doctoral degree candidate: 3,500 RMB/month
- Within the scholarship duration, scholarship students who register at CIE on time will receive a stipend from their host university each month. Students registering on or before the 15th of the month will receive a full stipend of that month. Those who register after the 15th of the month will receive a half stipend of that month. The stipend will be delivered during school holidays as usual. Graduating students will receive stipend until half month after the graduation date. For scholarship students who suspend education for a leave of absence or withdrawal, the stipend will be terminated from the date of applying for leaving school. If registered student stays out of China for more than 15 days due to a personal reason（school holidays excluded）, the stipend will be stopped during the leaving. For the students who fail to register on time without school permission, leave school as non-health reasons or absent from class over two weeks, will be reported to the CSC, the study status and scholarship will be canceled.
- Scholarship recipients of Chinese-taught programs without adequate Chinese proficiency should take Chinese language courses for one academic year to get HSK-4 before moving on to their major studies and the following major studies will be taught in Chinese. Failure to reach the required language proficiency (HSK-4) will lead to the automatic termination of scholarship. Scholarship recipients of the English-taught programs or those with adequate Chinese language proficiency do not need to take Chinese language courses.
- Scholarship students who have to suspend their studies for illness should return to their home country for further treatment and rest. The international travel expenses should be paid on their own. The students, who are allowed by the CSC and school authority to suspend their education, can remain their scholarship. The scholarship status will be reserved one year at most; however, the monthly living stipend will be stopped during the suspension of study. The scholarship status of the students who suspend their studies for acceptable reasons other than illness will be terminated.
- Comprehensive Insurance for International students in China refers to the Comprehensive Medical Insurance insured by MOE of the People’s Republic of China for the scholarship students in China. The institution is entitled to ask for compensation with the payment receipts from the insurance company for the expenses generated from hospitalizing for serious diseases or accidental injury according to the stipulated insurance articles.
Categories of Applicants and Duration of Scholarship
Categories of Applicants
Duration of Major Studies
Duration of Remedial Chinese Language Studies
Duration of Scholarship
Master’s Degree Students
Doctoral Degree Students
Note: The duration of major studyfor master’sdegree of Architecture, Urban and Rural Planning, Landscape Architecture is 3 years.
Application MaterialsThe applicants need to provide the following materials truly and correctly (in duplicate) and pay for the material assessment fee.
- Application Form of Chinese Government Scholarship.
- Those who are available for online application of China Scholarship Council shall fill in and print the application form (in duplicate) after submitting online.
- Highest full-time study diploma (original notarized documentin English or Chinese).
- Transcripts (It is not required to be notarized, but must be signed and sealed by school. The transcripts in other languages must be translated in English or Chinese with notarization).
- A study or research plan (no less than 800 words in English or Chinese). The format can be downloaded from official website: http://studyathit.hit.edu.cn/en/academic/program/view?id=17.
- Two recommendation letters by professors or associate professors in English or Chinese.
- Passport copy (Valid for one year at least).
- Photocopy of Foreigner Physical Examination Form.
- Bank Receipt of Material Assessment Fee: 60 USD or 400 RMB
- Acceptance letter( not a must)
- Language proficiency certificate ( not a must)
The CSC Online Application System is available at:
http://studyinchina.csc.edu.cn/ Choose type B (HIT university code is 10213)
Note: If applicants are university students, they should provide original notarized pre-graduation certificate in English or Chinese.
Notarization must be carried out through formal institution, the signature or seal from school or working unit does not have the effect of notarization.
Note:The form is printed by the Chinese Health and Quarantine Department and is restricted to those who study in China for more than 6 months. The medical examinations must cover all the items listed in the Foreigner Physical Examination Form (website: http://studyathit.hit.edu.cn/en/academic/program/view?id=17). Incomplete records or those without the signature of the attending physician, official stamp of the hospital or a sealed photograph of the applicants are invalid. The medical examination result is generally valid for 6 months.
Applicants should post the paper application materials with the copy of remittance receipt. Whether admitted or not, paper materials and material assessment fee is non-refundable.
Bank Name: Industrial and Commercial Bank of China, Harbin, Da Zhi Branch
Bank Address: 318 East Dazhi Street, Harbin, People’s Republic of China
Name: Harbin Institute of Technology
Account Number: 3500040109008900513
Applicants are encouraged to contact the professors prior to application and enclose the acceptance letter from supervisors of HIT.
Applicants are encouraged to enclose the HSK, IELTS or TOEFL report (valid for two years)to the application materials if they have.
Selection of SpecialtyPlease visit CIE website at http://studyathit.hit.edu.cn/en/academic/program/view?id=17 for more details. Or download for details>
Please visit website at http://www.hit.edu.cn/251/list.htm for faculty information.
Please visit website at http://homepage.hit.edu.cn for supervisor information.
Teaching LanguageAll doctoral degree programs are taught in English or Chinese (except School of Humanities, S. S. and Law). Master degree programs are generally taught in Chinese, except the English programs of Management, Material Science, Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electronics and Chemical Engineering & Life Science and Technology. Applicant with no command of Chinese is required to take one-year Chinese language course and need to pass HSK 4 to continue the following majorstudies taught in Chinese. For programs taught in English, applicant whose native language is not English should submit an English proficiency certificate, a score above 80 for TOEFL or 5.5 for IELTS, or certificate from former university is also acceptable.
Approval and Notification
- HIT will review all the application materials and is authorized to make necessary adjustments on specialties and duration of study. The application will be regarded as invalid and will not be processed if the applicants are not qualified or the application materials are inconsistent with the recruitment regulations or incomplete.
- Applicants accepted by HIT will be officially awarded the Chinese Government Scholarship with endorsement from CSC and submitted to MOE for the record.
- Applicants should check all the information on the admission notice. Applicants are not permitted to change their supervisors，specialties, institutions, or the duration of study specified in the Admission Notice after registration.
- Applicants who fail to register before September 30, 2019 will be regarded as giving up the scholarship.
Ms. ZHAO Lin (English): Tel: +86-451-86402455 E-mail: StudyatHIT@hit.edu.cn
Ms. LI Dongmei (English): Tel: +86-451-86402455 E-mail:email@example.com
Ms. PIAO Yuejin (Korean): Tel: +86-451-86412647 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr. LIU Wei (Russian): Tel: +86-451-86402455E-mail:email@example.com
Ms. SHAO Wei(Mongolia, Japan): Tel: +86-451-86412647 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Add: No.11 Siling Street, Nangang District, Harbin(150001), China
Please mark clearly “CSC Scholarship Application” on the envelope.
The CIE will keep the explanation authority for this brochure.